• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Pros and Cons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skyrim

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

New Jersey

Hello,

My husband passed away early this year. He left no will. There are no other relatives on his side. He is on the title. But his previous wife (deceased) is on the mortgage. Thus - I am not on the mortgage, nor title. The mortgage hasn't been paid since February as I resided in the different home. I am now willing to take over the property and wonder if it is too late?

I was told to file probate and become an administrator of his estate - however he left a lot of credit card debt (solely in his name) and various medical bills (also solely in his name). This was the reason I avoided filing the probate. However, it has been almost 9 months since his passing, and I am now thinking that all the creditors have gone away by now. He left no assets. No car, no bank accounts, the only interest of mine is this property - without having to pay an arm and a leg for missing payments+fees for the past 8 months of unpaid mortgage.

Can I refinance? Can I assume it? What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

skyrim

Still have questions on this thread after few months - any input?

I am trying to see if anyone can answer simple questions in connections with my previous post on here and help with advice.

Husband passed away year and a half ago. No will. No assets. The house he lived in sits empty. The mortgage wasn't paid for a year and a half. House is still full of furniture and his personal belongings. The mail doesn't get delivered there any more. I am the only survivor and there are no other relatives of his (all dead). I am not on deed, not on mortgage. What is going to happen with this house? Can i do anything to try to keep it?

thank you

quincy

I am sorry no one answered your questions back in October when you first posted, skyrim. I am sorry to hear about your husband's death.

Your related thread (posted in the mortgage section of the forum and accessible through this link: https://forum.freeadvice.com/mortgages-refinancing-foreclosure-107/what-going-happen-house-can-i-try-keep-somehow-626469.html) has already received responses. It will help out the volunteers on this site if you now keep all of your house-related questions to that single thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">