• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angeliiis

What is the name of your state? MO. Hi. My mom has asked me to help her with estate planning in the event of her death. Right now she has everything TOD and a beneficiary deed to the house. (She has Life Insurance ~ me as beneificiary, CD's ~ me as beneficiary, Bank Accounts ~ me as beneficiary, Mutual Funds ~ TOD to me and my sister, her car ~ TOD to me and my sister, Beneficiary Deeded to me.) The only items not covered are her personal property inside the house. What I would like to know is since the other things are not going through probate does the personal property have to go through probate or not? If I had to put a value on the personal property I would guesstimate it at around $20,000 with furniture, jewelry, etc included. I am not familar with how probate determines the value for small estates. Not sure if it would include everything or just the things have to go through probate. Any response to this would be greatly appreciated.

Angel

pojo2

angeliiis said:
What is the name of your state? MO. Hi. My mom has asked me to help her with estate planning in the event of her death. Right now she has everything TOD and a beneficiary deed to the house. (She has Life Insurance ~ me as beneificiary, CD's ~ me as beneficiary, Bank Accounts ~ me as beneficiary, Mutual Funds ~ TOD to me and my sister, her car ~ TOD to me and my sister, Beneficiary Deeded to me.) The only items not covered are her personal property inside the house. What I would like to know is since the other things are not going through probate does the personal property have to go through probate or not? If I had to put a value on the personal property I would guesstimate it at around $20,000 with furniture, jewelry, etc included. I am not familar with how probate determines the value for small estates. Not sure if it would include everything or just the things have to go through probate. Any response to this would be greatly appreciated.

Angel
Why not ask the Atty you have go over all this to see if it has been done properly for your state so it can not cause problems later down the line?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">