• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mudge

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
My sister and I are trying to probate my mothers estate ourselves. Our city probate office is not allowed to give any help with the matter. We are not sure how to fill out the return of claims and list of notified creditors (PC-237)
We know of no outstanding bills and no bills were submitted to us. Do we just put "no
bills" on the form? We already paid the funeral expenses. Do we report this expense on this form or at a later date? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Dandy Don

You need to be consulting with a local probate attorney and perhaps even hire him for a few hours consultation to guide you through the probate process. You may not be ready to fill out that form yet if you have not already published an ad in the local paper so that potential creditors can be notified by seeing the ad and then responding. But if there are no creditors you will be able to truthfully state that there aren't any.

Mudge

Connecticut Thank you for getting back to me.
My mom passed in Oct. 2005. We had already filed the initial forms with probate, and the notice was published in the news papers in Jan. 2006. According to the guidelines for probate our next step is to file the return of claims forms. Because no bills where presented or submitted to the fiduciary and we are not aware of any outstanding bills. We had already paid the funeral expenses, do we just put NO Claimant's on the form? Or do we list the funeral expenses at this time or report them later?
Thank You

lwpat

If you paid the funeral expenses personally, you can place a claim against the estate. It just depends on how you want to handle it. If you and your sister shared the expense and are equal heirs, then it does not matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">