• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miamouse66

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California . My mother in law passed away Nov. 18. She went into the hospital on the 16. The night before she told my husband to take her car so he could come and go to the hospital until she was released.
We have had the car ever since.
Yesterday his only sister sat down with us and told us the the car needed to be locked up, because the estate has to go through probate.
Even though the car has insurance we should look at the policy and see what it actually covers.
My mother in law has told my sister in law that since she has 2 cars she wanted her son to have her car.
The will states that everything is to be split 50-50 between her two children. And that the daughter is to be the executor.
My question is the reason the car needs to be locked up is because of insurance coverage. If this is the case then why cant my husband get his own auto insurance for the car. Would this still mean the car has to go through the process of probate.
My sister in law has no objection to him having the car in fact she said she would write out a statement to the court asking the the car be expediated since we dont have a car at this time.
Also 1 more question. If all assets have to be locked down doesnt that include the house and everything that has to do the my mother in law estate, (money, jewerly, car, clothing, anything that belonged to my mother in law).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">