• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate and Real Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wilma86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My father passed away without a will and my family has some questions. Him and his girlfriend shared their home and both names were on the deed. They were in a relationship for about 12 years. She put the house on the market and has a closing date of August 31st. My family is wondering if she is able to sell the house without the consent of my father's next of kin, my brothers and me. If she does sell the house are we entitled to any of the money made from the sale? We are not looking to profit. Only to pay off the 11,000 dollar funeral costs that were aquired. We are all young still, in our 20's, and cannot afford to pay for legal adivce. Any support is appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My father passed away without a will and my family has some questions. Him and his girlfriend shared their home and both names were on the deed. They were in a relationship for about 12 years. She put the house on the market and has a closing date of August 31st. My family is wondering if she is able to sell the house without the consent of my father's next of kin, my brothers and me. If she does sell the house are we entitled to any of the money made from the sale? We are not looking to profit. Only to pay off the 11,000 dollar funeral costs that were aquired. We are all young still, in our 20's, and cannot afford to pay for legal adivce. Any support is appreciated.
It really depends on how the house was titled. It's possible that the house is now her sole property, while it's also possible that she owns 50% of the house and your father's estate owns the other 50%

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">