• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate receipt and release in New Jersey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mosaic7

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I have a probate case in New Jersey and I live in California. The attorney handling the estate in New Jersey requested that I sign a Receipt and Release document and upon receiving the document would release a check for my share of the estate. I signed the Release and was informed a week later that the funds are being held up because the SEC is investigating a misunderstanding with another client. Besides hiring an attorney what options do I have?What is the name of your state?

Dandy Don

Get details from whoever told you that about the name of the other client and the person at SEC who his investigating. You need confirmation about whether this is true or not (so you can verify it independently), or whether you are being given BS. That excuse does not really sound believable and I truly hope he is not trying to stall you to prevent from being investigated for stealing from an estate.

Find out by asking this attorney whether he has posted an executor's bond(for the estate involved that you are beneficiary of) and ask if your state law requires that a bond be taken out by the executor or not.

Getting your own attorney may be preferable to filing a complaint with the state bar association, because sometimes the state bar takes too long to investigate or may want to cover up any possible illegal actions by a member attorney.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">