• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate rights and answers...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

REP272002

I live in the state of California. My sister (who was estranged from my moher) is serving as executor...Long story short: I wasn't mentally capable of making financial decisions at the time needed. As a result, I am completely out of the loop as far as what is going on and what to expect. I have called the probate atty. many times and asked for copies of the paperwork, but get no response. My sister has also decided to ignore my emails and all other attempts to get information. How can I find out what my rights are? I am named in the estate, and feel that I am entitled to this information. I live about 4 hours from the county probate is in, so it's not exactly easy for me to just go there for a day. Also, is my sister entitled to a higher percent, since she is executor?

Dandy Don

Who died? Your mother?

You can contact the county courthouse yourself to get information about the estate (a copy of the will if its been filed). Other than that, you need to wait for the probate process to play out in court to find out what if anything you will be getting. Let's hope that the debts don't turn out to be more than the assets, and hopefully there will be something left over for you to inherit. Please stop pestering the executor--at the proper time they will be in touch with you about the estate matters.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

C

CALIF-PRO36

REP272002 said:
I live in the state of California. My sister (who was estranged from my moher) is serving as executor...Long story short: I wasn't mentally capable of making financial decisions at the time needed. As a result, I am completely out of the loop as far as what is going on and what to expect. I have called the probate atty. many times and asked for copies of the paperwork, but get no response. My sister has also decided to ignore my emails and all other attempts to get information. How can I find out what my rights are? I am named in the estate, and feel that I am entitled to this information. I live about 4 hours from the county probate is in, so it's not exactly easy for me to just go there for a day. Also, is my sister entitled to a higher percent, since she is executor?

My response:

Obtain (download, or obtain from the court), fill out, file with the court, and serve on the Estate/Probate attorney, California Probate form #DE-154/GC-035 ("Request for Special Notice"). By doing so, you'll receive all future filings and accounts by the Estate attorney and the court. You'll have to call the Probate Clerk of the court to request all past paperwork filed with the court. This will cost you, but at least between the two sources, you'll be able to create an exact duplicate Estate file.

Additionally, this is why you should NEVER listen to people from Oklahoma, like Dandy Dufus! Anyone from one of the various Trailer Trash States, like Oklahoma, are quite stupid. I've told Dandy Dufus about his dumb remarks, like his above, on many occasions, but he persists.

I, on the other hand, am an attorney in California. I have given you the correct information. Dandy Dufus, on the other hand is, well, just a Dufus!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">