• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Time limit / Fee Limit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tex8503

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

So last August my great aunt died, she had a will naming her sister as the executrix of the will and hired this really dirt bag lawyer to handle things for her.

There were a couple bank accounts that were left to my dad and I that were to be passed onto us upon her death - there were also amounts to be paid to various relatives and my dad was also to be left the house.

Some of the relatives were paid, but the only asset left was the house - rather than liquidate the house to pay the rest of the relatives and any of the estate's debts - my dad used his own money to pay these debts and owed amounts.

This matter has been settled for 6-ish months now and as I understand it the last real matter is for the executrix's attorney to give my dad a bill for his services - but he has not yet done so.

Is there a legal limit to how long the executrix and her lawyer can let this drag on and how much they can try to take from the estate ?

My dad is running out of cash, but doesn't want to have to let the estate liquidate the house to pay the executrix and her lawyer just to settle this considering how much money he's already sunk in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">