• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate time for MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

govgonewild

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
I am the PR to my mother's estate and my sister's demanded that I get the will filed in probate immediately. I hired an attorney and the will was just filed July 24, 2007. I understand we have to wait 4 months for any creditor to make claims. How long do I have to finish the probate. Also, what do I do if one sister has filed a restraining order against me and I'm supposed to keep her informed of the probate process? The restraining order says I cannot contact her or any third party person that she knows. It's not big deal because I haven't seen her since my mom died on March 24, 2007 and I don't care to deal with her ever again. I am just worried she will go to the court and say I haven't communicated.

seniorjudge

Q: How long do I have to finish the probate.

A: Generally, there is a minimum time (as you indicated) but I know of no maximum time. Probate is a slow, slow process.

Q: Also, what do I do if one sister has filed a restraining order against me and I'm supposed to keep her informed of the probate process?

A: Have your lawyer file a copy of the restraining order with the probate court and ask for the court's direction on how you must fulfill your legal (not sisterly) duties.

govgonewild

Thanks for your advice! Will try and file the restraining order with the probate court but it's against my attorney also so no third party communication is allowed. I haven't been served the order yet but got a call from the sheriff saying he was trying to serve it to me. I live in a different state and my sister was trying to serve it at my mom's house and my mom is dead and her house is empty. I guess I have to wait until she serves me here to get a copy. My sister wouldn't give my attorney a copy but he will look it up.

seniorjudge

Thanks for your advice! Will try and file the restraining order with the probate court but it's against my attorney also so no third party communication is allowed. I haven't been served the order yet but got a call from the sheriff saying he was trying to serve it to me. I live in a different state and my sister was trying to serve it at my mom's house and my mom is dead and her house is empty. I guess I have to wait until she serves me here to get a copy. My sister wouldn't give my attorney a copy but he will look it up.
I hope your lawyer is across the street from the courthouse where the probate estate is open.

It is not a violation of the restraining order for you and your lawyer to file it with the probate court since you are not making contact with nasty sis.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">