• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems contacting the executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

duranc8091

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My grandmother passed away last July in Maryland. I was notified in October that I was named in her will. At that time, I requested a copy of the will. I still haven't received it. I contacted the Register of Wills for my grandmother's county and they were only able to tell me that I specifically was not named in the will, but it was my deceased father. The Register of Wills said that his share then passes to me (I am his only heir) but they didn't have much more information than that and recommended that I contact the executor. Recently I spoke to the executor again and again requested a copy, but still no respose. Can I request a copy through the attorney handling the will?

seniorjudge

duranc8091 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois
My grandmother passed away last July in Maryland. I was notified in October that I was named in her will. At that time, I requested a copy of the will. I still haven't received it. I contacted the Register of Wills for my grandmother's county and they were only able to tell me that I specifically was not named in the will, but it was my deceased father. The Register of Wills said that his share then passes to me (I am his only heir) but they didn't have much more information than that and recommended that I contact the executor. Recently I spoke to the executor again and again requested a copy, but still no respose. Can I request a copy through the attorney handling the will?
Get a copy of the complete file from the courthouse.

Dandy Don

You need to consult a Maryland attorney (or post to another free advice website called www.lawguru.com) to find out whether what you were told about you inheriting your deceased father's share is true or not (the clerks have no business dispensing legal advice since they are not trained to do so).

And you may want to have an attorney review the will to see if you have grounds for contesting it or not. It sounds like someone (your father or some other party) may have had a newer will made, perhaps under duress (which is illegal) or not, if father decided to make changes on his own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">