• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with exector of will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunshine0812

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico I am one of 6 children and my father passed away leaving my eldest sister in charge of his will. Since his death she has failed to notify any on the status of his estate. In the will it states that my fathers home was to be sold and the money is to be split between all 6 children. i have just found out that the home was sold but we are all sure of the price or when it was sold. my eldest sister did tell someone that she was going to hold on to the funds from the sale for 90 days. Is that so the sale can not be contested? Do you know if there is a Statutes of limitations on the proceedings from the sale of a home in the state of nm?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

What is the timeline here? When was probate opened? Did you receive notice that probate was begun and your sister appointed as the personal representative of the estate?

Generally, other than notice of appointment by the court, the personal representative is not required to keep the beneficiaries informed about the status of the estate. Has anybody simply contacted her and asked what is going on?

Dandy Don

You need to check at the county courthouse probate court to see if the will has been filed or not. If you think she is deliberately withholding the will, you or your attorney can file paperwork to open up the estate at the county courthouse probate court so that the judge can ask her to produce the will for court. And you also want to hire your own probate attorney so he/she can serve as intermediary to deal with sister so that you won't have to.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">