• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

proceeds from sale of home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katkitty

What is the name of your state?Tn
Our parents sold a home in Illinois 7-21-04 . They were joint owners. Our father has Alzheimers and mother was ill. We brought them to TN in Feb 04 and they became TN residents. My mother passed away 8-22-04. They never cashed the check from the sale of the house because father took it and locked it away. Mothers death pushed father farther into Alzheimers. He tried to cash the check but the Illinois bank refused and had to reissue it to "father and the estate of mother." Father had to be placed in a home. We gave conservatorship of his finances to a county appointed conservator. Mother died without a will. The conservator said father should get all the proceeds from the sale of the house. I am confused because when my husband died without a will, his children received 2/3 and I got 1/3 of his estate. What state laws would govern mother's share? My sister and I took care of both of them for one year without any compensation. Mother had said she was going to give us something when the house was sold. Now the conservator said we probably will not receive anything. Doesn't mother's estate need to be opened?

BlondiePB

What state laws would govern mother's share?
When there is a conservatorship/guardianship involving a person that is married, the court will order that the surviving spouse receives all the monies and property.
Doesn't mother's estate need to be opened?
Not in this case. You will have to wait for dad to pass.

katkitty

House Proceeds

TN
Thank you, as we were not sure since he did not have a conservator until 2005 and the house was sold 8 months earlier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">