• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Not Passed Down By Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Donahue

What is the name of your state?CA Property is in HI.

Here's the situation. Grandmother died without a will. She was co-owner of a piece of undeveloped property in HI with one sibling and sibling's husband. All are deceased. The other two property owner's interests were passed to heirs. Unfortunately, this is not the case for my grandmother's interests although my father is her sole heir.

The property is valued at 10,000 and zoned agricultural. In one conversation with an attorney, he advised that Probate to straighten out the interests in the property would, more than likely, exceed the value of the property.

My question is this; is probate necessary to claim the interest in the property that is rightfully my father's as sole heir to my grandmother's interest?

If so, have I been informed accurately as to the cost of probate in such a situation?

Also, since my grandmother was a CA resident, would it go to probate in CA or would HI be the pertinent jurisdiction (since the property is located there)?

Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated, since my father doesn't have access to the internet for research.

lwpat

Did anyone probate your Grandmother's estate? If not then simply do it now in CA. Once you have been named the executor you can transfer the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">