• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Question -

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mamacat104

What is the name of your state? Texas

My friend's brother died without a will. Their sister created a huge fight over the estate, trying to take everything from his surviving wife.
Using Blackmail tactics, she was given two junk cars (that the wife didn't want to begin with). The junk cars have been sitting on my friend's property and have not run for over 20 years. A car dealer put a $100 value on both cars considering the condition of them.
After the estate was closed the final papers filed, my friend certified mailed a letter to his sister that she had 21 days to remove the cars from his property or he would sell the cars as junk to a junk yard or to whoever is willing to haul them off. This was over two years ago. A copy of the letter was sent to the Wife's lawyer who handled the probate of the estate.
His sister has NEVER called or responded to her brother about the letter. She has NEVER made an effort to come get the cars that she wanted. My friend hasn't done anything about getting rid of the cars until now. He wants to clean up the back yard of his house and wants to gid the cars out of there. He has someone who is interested in buying one of the cars. After two years of no response from his sister regarding the cars, can he legally get rid of them from his back yard now? She WAS told that he was going to get rid of them. Also, the man who wants to buy the one car, will he be okay buying it without worry of her one day deciding to come after it? (It is going to be taken out of state).. He'll have to apply for a lost title on it...can the buyer file for the lost title, or does my friend have to do that since he is selling the car.
thanks
Barbara

pojo2

He needs to send out a certified letter stating once again in 30 days the cars will be sold. I don't know if you legally need to but it protects him.

Applying for a lost title might be consider fraud if anyone ever pursued it in court.

Mamacat104

Property Question

Thanks, I'll let him know and will let the people who want to
buy it know what is going on. Appreciate your response.

Have a nice day
Barbara

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">