• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

protect property from nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. how can I protect myself from a nursing home taking my property away from me that I purchase from my mother in law before she every has to go to a nursing home?

OHRoadwarrior

Hire a lawyer and prove that you not only paid the fair market value for the property, but that mom spent all the money for her care, prior to being in the nursing home.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. how can I protect myself from a nursing home taking my property away from me that I purchase from my mother in law before she every has to go to a nursing home?
Is your mother intentionally disposing of the property in order to qualify her for Medicare benefits? If so, keep in mind that Medicare has a 5-year "look back" period. That means that Medicare will look back 5 years in order to see what assets were there and available to dispose of in order to cover the cost of her nursing home care.

Unless you can prove that you PAID for the property at full market value, the government may consider the "sale" of the property to a close family member as a suspicious transfer, thus including the true property value in their lookback and potentially disqualifying her for Medicaid coverage of her nursing home care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">