• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting Decedent's Estate from Creditors in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ellentk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Does ERISA's creditor protection continue for an ERISA qualified retirement plan that had no beneficiary when it passes into the estate of a decedent with creditors?

If it does, does anything have to be done to secure that protection, file papers, etc.?

Thanks.

anteater

I will certainly defer to any respondent with more knowledge on this. But, for what it is worth....

I don't see how the funds could be protected in any way. The funds are being distributed from the retirement account to the probate estate. The account isn't. Once distributed, I would say that they are like any other estate funds.

Last edited:

ellentk

I will certainly defer to any respondent with more knowledge on this. But, for what it is worth....

I don't see how the funds could be protected in any way. The funds are being distributed from the retirement account to the probate estate. The account isn't. Once distributed, I would say that they are like any other estate funds.
I'm afraid you are probably right. But if anyone has another take, please jump in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">