• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Administrator robbing me? help fast plz

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saraveza

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Back in May my Grandmother passed away then 12 hrs after my Father passed away unexpectedly. My Grandma's had a will drawn up before I was born & it left everything to my Dad. Well,there is a Public Administrator who is supposed to be taking care of everything. My Grandma's estate is going up for sale soon. Its time to empty the estate. The Public Administrator has taped off the house & has not allowed me access to the inside of the house. He had previously told me I could go in & collect heirlooms & gather property I wanted to keep. Now he is telling me that because there is not proper insurance of the place I cant go in the house & instead he is asking for a list of heirlooms I want from in the house. My Grandma had Dementia & hid things all over that house. I cant make a list without knowing whats there.He said they would put the heirlooms in storage & I can pick them up from there. He says they have declared everything in the house "donatable" & a team is scheduled to empty the house in the next few days. What looks like a towel to one person may be a towel that has meaning to our family.Only family can decide that.
Well I peeked in a small opening in the curtains in a window today & the place looks like it has been ransacked. Drawers dumped on top of the bed, the TV turned on its side on top the bed, the closets emptied,furniture moved ect. I know it had to be the Public Administrator because the house was sealed with new stickers with the date 10/09/2014 on it. Thats when they evaluated the personal property & said it was all donatable.
Now I haven't a clue what is missing nor if I'll get the chance to enter the house again. I feel like I'm being robbed. To me this is not right.
Whats going on? Is this legal? What should I do? I need some feedback fast please they are trying to sell the house this week. I emailed the Public Administrator & told him no one has permission to take anything from the house. I haven't heard back from him. Does it even matter that I give no one permission to take anything from the house?
Please help fast!
PS Im in San Jose Calif, Santa Clara County

anteater

I suggest that you retain an attorney - fast. A public administrator wants to wrap up the estate as quickly and efficiently as possible. He/she is not going to cater to your desires.

Why is there a public administrator? Why aren't you administering the probate estate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">