• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Administrator vs self

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharon561

What is the name of your state? California
Has anyone experienced this problem? A public administrator stepped in as I did not have knowledge of my father's death. (No attempts were made to locate me although "they" knew I lived in Los Angeles). She was granted her letters- process is already in formal probate (he died without a will). I am the only living child. I filed for "special Notice" since she would not share any information unless I am willing to sign my authorization for her to be the Administrator.
I am not even sure if I can become personal representative once the Public Administrator is already assigned. Yet, I am afraid she might be selling off assets and I have absolutely no knowledge of what they are. Any suggestions? Also if I was able to remove her, will she be entitled to the same percentage even if I complete the process?
I should not need any attorney- few debts but owned a little property.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sharon

tecate

Have you filed your own petition for letters and request to revoke the Public Administrator's? Try for temporary letters also and an order preventing any sales activity. Because you are the only interested party, my guess is you can do all of this without notice on a day the PA is in court.

My guess is they will gladly hand power over to you once you file the proper papers.

Look at Probate Code Section 8503(a). Also look generally at 7600 et. seq. for comp issues.

sharon561

Thank you

Thank you for responding. I will take a look at the material you suggested. When I looked at all the other forms-it asked me to list assets and since the PA will not release her inventory, I thought my form would be incomplete. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">