• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about an asset

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

execsupport

What is the name of your state? SC

My mother died Dec 9. She apparently made a new will recently. My sister's exhusband (they are on friendly terms) was appointed executor. He and my sister will not let my other sister and I see a copy of the will and just tell us we can get a copy from the courthouse after probate. They are telling us my sister got everything. Neither of them will return our phone calls. My younger sister has located an attorney in town who contests wills and has an appointment Jan 9.

2 years ago, my mother purchased a camper for my husband and me. Long story but we were unable to get it alone and we needed it for my husband to live in since he works out of town most of the time. The title and loan are in Mom's name. We have made all payments and the account is current. There are 3 years more payments on the loan and there was no credit life insurance.

Mom has always promised that she put the camper in her will as belonging to us. Both of my sisters were aware of this. The executor has only said that we are to continue making payments.

We are going under the assumption that the new will still had the camper as going to us. I don't consider this a true bequest since we have made all the payments. Since the loan is in her name, does the estate pay off the loan as one of her debts? Can they require us to get a new loan or to pay the estate for the remainder of the loan?

I had an extended illness which damaged our credit and we don't qualify for a loan. We don't want to lose our camper but are beginning to realize it's possible.What is the name of your state?

What is the name of your state? SC

My mother died Dec 9. She apparently made a new will recently. My sister's exhusband (they are on friendly terms) was appointed executor. He and my sister will not let my other sister and I see a copy of the will and just tell us we can get a copy from the courthouse after probate. They are telling us my sister got everything. Neither of them will return our phone calls. My younger sister has located an attorney in town who contests wills and has an appointment Jan 9.

2 years ago, my mother purchased a camper for my husband and me. Long story but we were unable to get it alone and we needed it for my husband to live in since he works out of town most of the time. The title and loan are in Mom's name. We have made all payments and the account is current. There are 3 years more payments on the loan and there was no credit life insurance.

Mom has always promised that she put the camper in her will as belonging to us. Both of my sisters were aware of this. The executor has only said that we are to continue making payments.

We are going under the assumption that the new will still had the camper as going to us. I don't consider this a true bequest since we have made all the payments. Since the loan is in her name, does the estate pay off the loan as one of her debts? Can they require us to get a new loan or to pay the estate for the remainder of the loan?

I had an extended illness which damaged our credit and we don't qualify for a loan. We don't want to lose our camper but are beginning to realize it's possible.What is the name of your state?

First, until you go to the courthouse and get a copy of the will that has been probated, don't assume that you are inheiriting anything. Second, verbal promises to receive items after someone's death aren't binding, the only thing that counts is what is bequeathed in the will (see point one).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">