• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about PR DEED

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raggae

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I was named PR over my late brothers estate last year, I was also named in his will to recieve his home here in Colorado where I now live.

What do I need to do in order to affect the title of the deed so that it reflects my name and not my brother's name?

I have NO plans of selling the home in the near future, am I limited to filling a PR Deed when I am ready to sell, or can I file one now to have the title of the home in my name?

Thanks !What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I was named PR over my late brothers estate last year, I was also named in his will to recieve his home here in Colorado where I now live.

What do I need to do in order to affect the title of the deed so that it reflects my name and not my brother's name?

I have NO plans of selling the home in the near future, am I limited to filling a PR Deed when I am ready to sell, or can I file one now to have the title of the home in my name?

Thanks !What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You need to see the assistance of a legal adviser (ie: attorney). This is such a basic question that it shows you have no clue about what you're doing, which leaves you open to lawsuits and, yes, possibly even criminal charges.

Raggae

Jerk

Hey Zigner !

Maybe you're hawking business for a lawyer I don't know? but, your snide reponse is unwelcomed and I think unnecessary.

You must feel it's fun to portray people without your knowledge level as stupid?

Thought I could simply ask a question and recieve a COURTEOUS response? How about just responding with something like... " your question suggests that you should seek legal advice in this matter "?

Kiawah

I think the point is, that you will need to go and open up probate in the county where the brother died. That process, when completed (assuming all i's dotted, t's crossed, creditor's paid, etc), will end up giving you the documents you need to re-deed the real estate over into your name.

Depending on the size of the estate and the complexity, you may very well need a lawyer to help you thru that process. If you are into that process and find yourself stumbling around, it may very well be helpful to get an attorney to help. Personally, I've in the middle of this now for my MIL, and have an attorney driving the process. I'm just too far away and it's not worth my time.

Many counties websites, have pages giving overviews of their process with costs.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">