• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question with probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kwiltsbryant

What is the name of your state? I live in South Dakota but the question resides in Missouri.

My mother was legally divorced on November 16, 2006 and her now ex-husband died on December 1, 2006. They jointly have a home in Macon, Missouri which is on the market to be sold. He owns outright a Cadilac, Ford Ranger pickup, a boat, motor, and trailer, and golf cart, which was all purchased with my mothers money. Since he still has debt on this house, do his heirs have to pay his half of this bill every month or does his assets need to be sold in order to repay this debt obligation.

moburkes

Why are you saying that it was purchased with your mother's money, when they were married?
His heirs are not responsible for his debts. His estate is responsible for his debts.
Probate should be opened.

Dandy Don

If there is equity in the home the executor needs to discuss with the mortgage company whether they would allow a sale to pay off the remaining mortgage debt and split any excess with the heirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">