• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question Regarding Deceased Mother's Medical Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elizabethp

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My mother passed away in July of 2006. She lived in Ohio. My name was on all of her accounts as well as on the house she owned. She had no debts other than utilities and medical bills. My question is this, since the Will did not have to go through probate, am I responsible for paying her medical bills? I found a bill from her doctor on her table after she died and I called to ask if the amount was correct or if there were additional charges to be paid; the billing person told me that she would mark the account "deceased" and I would not have to pay the bill. Now I am getting bills/threats about collections sent to my address, but still in my mom's name, i.e., sent to her name, but my address. It also refers to the Estate of (my mom's name). Am I responsible for paying these bills? I also got a bill for payment of her Humana Prescription Plan for Jan-July of 2006.

I should add that all of her mail was being forwarded to me; but they still somehow found out my address and are now putting that on the letters; in other words, the mail is no longer being forwarded because it has my address and "to the estate of (my mom's name.")

I have a perfect credit rating and have no debts other than a small car loan and I am really angry that they are threating collections. How would they ever get my name and social security number? Wouldn't they need this to collect?

If you can offer any assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

justalayman

You state the will did not need to go through probate, why?

How were the house and the accounts held?

Your mothers estate is still liable for the estates bills. If there actually is nothing, then the creditors will have to write off the debt. If you have simply taken over her estate, then you have to answer for that. The debts do not become yours but if there was any estate, it must pay the bills before you take whatever is left to you.

BlondiePB

I also got a bill for payment of her Humana Prescription Plan for Jan-July of 2006.
This does not make sense. Did your mom belong to the Humana/Medicare program? If so, then for certain prescriptions, there is a co-pay for the prescriptions payable upon pick-up of the Rx and the monies deducted from her Social Security for Medicare pays Humana.

Ozark_Sophist

As to the Humana Prescription plan, perhaps the income level was low enough the state kicked in through Medicaid for the prescription plan premium. I have a Medicare Part D Humana Presciption plan and the premiums are ~$65 a month. ~just a thought

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">