• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding a Minor Childs Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom-w-aquestion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MISSOURI

Sept 2011, my 16 yr old daughter's father (we were divorced) passed away. He had been awarded over $700,000 from a pharmecutical lawsuit right before his death. He had planned to get everything in writing of his wishes, but he passed before doing that. His family knew his wishes were to leave what he had to his only child. I received a letter from an attorney in Idaho, his brother had requested to be representative. I have only been told by his brother (in October 2011) his main concern is taking care of his brothers only daughter and that this money was in probate until March 2012. We never got any notification of that happening. I am just confused, I do not feel right about this, my daughter was his only child. As his brother's wife told me on the phone in October (they no longer speak to me) that "legally the money was not left to my daughter, but they know morally that is what her father wanted." I have not pursued this as I did not know what to do? What my legal rights were as her mother and her being a minor? Why am I nor my daughter having no notifications, information of the on-goings of this estate, probate...besides the letter we had received from an attorney stating that her uncle had requested to be representative. I have been told by several people that MY daughter needs to get her OWN attorney?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the ex had a will, it's entirely possible that your daughter will see little to nothing of the money.

Head to the court-house and ask to see a copy of the probate file...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">