• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questionable Property Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr. Man

What is the name of your state? CA

My father died several years ago, survivors included myself, 27, sister, 17, and brother, 15 (at the time of death). He died of alcholism, needless to say, we did not have a "relationship" and only had limited visits throughout the years.

I would have rather not been involved in any arrangement but both my siblings were minors (and had lost their Mom just a year prior). I did not have a "real relationship" with my brother and sister either but knew that I loved them and was all the family they had left.

I handled the death arrangements and paid for cremation. All contents of house and belongings were squandered away by siblings or stolen by drunken friends.

My brother came to live with me and my sister and I developed a close relationship during the last decade.

Dad had property in desert. Uncle stole trailer, etc at time of death. Dad had a balloon payment due in a few years, but payments to the person he was purchasing property from (lived in hawaii) had been returned for several years. Prior to death, past due state taxes put property on auction block, Dad waited until last minute, to see if "owner" would show up to claim property (no show). Dad paid taxes. At time of death, taxes past due, Uncle agreed to pay.

I chose not to pursue property because, Dad still owed $25,000, desert land, uncle's and sibling entitlement rights and because medical expenses topped the $50,000 mark.

Question: A cousin has maintained taxes and wants to split four ways. Sis, wants to change title without cousin (who is he anyway, she says). Bro and I couldn't care less. If I got a trip to Disneyland for my children with any profits, I would be happy. What is the legal process, if any? Especially, this late in the game.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">