• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions about my father's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

egeogheg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

My father died unexpectedly about a month ago. He was remarried and my sisters and I were not terribly close with his wife. Friendly, but not close. Since his death, she hasn't been open with any information about his estate. She has avoided answering direct questions about whether he had a will or not, and gets upset with us when we ask her anything. She has also started acting strange saying that our father had secrets, that we have to behave a certain way (not gossip, not get divorced, etc.) for us to get anything from him (????). Basically, we just want to know the facts. We want answers and we want closure. And we want to have her leave us alone. What can we do? Thanks in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

My father died unexpectedly about a month ago. He was remarried and my sisters and I were not terribly close with his wife. Friendly, but not close. Since his death, she hasn't been open with any information about his estate. She has avoided answering direct questions about whether he had a will or not, and gets upset with us when we ask her anything. She has also started acting strange saying that our father had secrets, that we have to behave a certain way (not gossip, not get divorced, etc.) for us to get anything from him (????). Basically, we just want to know the facts. We want answers and we want closure. And we want to have her leave us alone. What can we do? Thanks in advance.
File to open probate in RI if that was where your father died. At that point, the court takes over and you can get to the truth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">