• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions to ask the attorney about aunt's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debodun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am meeting with the attorney that is handling my aunt's estate in 4 days. I've been told I have to sign "some papers". My aunt died intestate last year and the family is looking for someone to act as executor. I have another aunt and uncle on that side of the family, but they are in either no physical or mental condition to act in that capacity. There are also three cousins, but they are not interested in being executor. All I know so far is that her funeral has not been paid for as well as the attorney and that there may be a significant credit card bill involved as an additional debt. Her only asset was a modular home in poor condition. What would be some good questions to ask the attorney under these circumstances?

anteater

Depends... What are the "some papers?"

Are you going to petition to serve as executor?

And, if you do, are you retaining this attorney to represent you?

If you are...

1) Be sure to understand who is going to do what.

2) Be sure that there is a mutual understanding on how the attorney will be compensated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am meeting with the attorney that is handling my aunt's estate in 4 days. I've been told I have to sign "some papers". My aunt died intestate last year and the family is looking for someone to act as executor. I have another aunt and uncle on that side of the family, but they are in either no physical or mental condition to act in that capacity. There are also three cousins, but they are not interested in being executor. All I know so far is that her funeral has not been paid for as well as the attorney and that there may be a significant credit card bill involved as an additional debt. Her only asset was a modular home in poor condition. What would be some good questions to ask the attorney under these circumstances?
Personally, since her estate clearly has more debts than assets, I would decline to get involved or sign any papers at all. Your cousins are being smart.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">