• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

littlenita

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
For the state of Alabama, If I sign a quit claim deed, does that mean that my name has to be placed on the deed? Due to the death of grand mother, I have inheired a precent of her real estate.

tranquility

The quit claim with your name on it will be in the chain of title.

But, what is your concern? If you have a debt you're trying to avoid, getting rid of an asset to pay it is not going to help.

littlenita

Thanks for replying, here's the situation..my grand mother passed away and she owned 2 houses (in Alabama) and I have inheired 1/3 precentage of the properties. Currently my name is NOT on the title or deed of her houses and I do not want my name on the title/ deed, I don't want the liability, ownership, money if my uncle sells the house, nothing from these houses. I signed a disclaimer letter stating the above and giving all my rights to my uncle but a disclaimer letter is not legal in Alabama. The only thing to do is sign a quit claim deed, but I just want to know if by signing the quit claim deed, does that put my name on the title/deed in order for me to give my rights of the properties to my uncle? I do not know the procedures of a quit claim deed and what the courts do or how they handle it.

FlyingRon

Thanks for replying, here's the situation..my grand mother passed away and she owned 2 houses (in Alabama) and I have inheired 1/3 precentage of the properties.
If probate has not been opened and the properties not deeded to you, you haven't inherited anything. A quit claim is premature in that case. You need to figure out who is administering the state and renounce the inheritance before it comes to you.

HomeGuru

If probate has not been opened and the properties not deeded to you, you haven't inherited anything. A quit claim is premature in that case. You need to figure out who is administering the state and renounce the inheritance before it comes to you.
**A: don't you mean the estate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">