• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

real estate only asset want to buy out other heir

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cgc1959

What is the name of your state?PA

I am executor of my grandmothers' estate. Th only major asset is her house which was left to my sister and I. She also left $500 to her brother. Right now there are about $5000 in expenses and inheritance tax of approx $4000 that have not been paid. We can not pay these thing until the house is sold because there is no $ left. However, I want to buy my sister out of her 1/2. The value of the house is $90000. If I paid $45000 for her interest I could pay the expenses out of that but the distribution to her would be less . Should I pay the expenses out of my pocket and then work out a reimbursement from her for 1/2? Is there a simple way to do this? Is there a Family settlement agreement that we could file?

JETX

cgc1959 said:
Should I pay the expenses out of my pocket and then work out a reimbursement from her for 1/2?
That is purely an accounting issue and has NOTHING to do with the law.

Is there a simple way to do this?
Yes. Have an attorney draw up a simple purchase agreement.

Is there a Family settlement agreement that we could file?
If you mean to include the sale and transfer of the property, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">