• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate Still Titled in Name of Deceased (Intestate)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luckydogs9

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My parents are both deceased--over 40 years. My brother and I have been approached to sell a small piece of property that is still titled in our parents' name. How do we get a clear title to the real estate in both our names. We are the only survivors. Both parents died intestate. What documents do we need and where should they be filed. We do not live in the same state the property is located and we do not live in the states in which our parents died.
Is this something we can accomplish without retaining a probate atty?

Dandy Don

Was there ever any type of probate done on your parents' estates? If not, then one will need to be done now just because this is a real estate matter and the names of the heirs must be legally established.

What is the value of the property? This can probably be done through a relatively simplified procedure for smaller estates, and a probate attorney can do it for you. There is no way to get around using a probate attorney in this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">