• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Family Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetbeee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
I have an appt with an Estate Atty next month (tax time) but the family drama is escalating so if some of you could help put my mind at ease, I would appreciate it.
We five siblings equally inherited my late parent's home, I want to sell, and my brother wants to buy my interest in it. It got a very high appraisal then a year later a low one, afterwards there were many repairs completed. He now wants to buy me out at the low appraisal of course, with all the repairs I helped pay for (5 heirs) and won't pay more than that. When I tell him it's too low, he throws a tantrum and threatens to go from that conversation to putting up for Sheriff's sale and stealing it and making the difference up to the remaining sisters from my loss. How does a forced sale go? Can we determine the reserve so we don't lose a huge amount? Is he able to disinherit me by bullying? Please help, I'm losing sleep over this guy. My Mother passed away in 2009 and still the furnishings have been divided. One sister's been living rent free in the house and moved her girlfriend in, the estate's been paying all the bills, why would they want to sell? Now my brother's saying if I don't sell to him, he's moving in there too and they'll all stay there indefinitely... they have not split the assets from the Succession and now that I'm trying to extricate myself, they're furious and saying I'm harrassing them. I have no access to the finances, and from what I understand, they've spent most of it. I seriously need help.

Last edited:

tranquility

If you are joint owners or beneficiaries on the property, he can seek a partition suit. The court determines who owns the property and the allocation and then sells on the courthouse steps. No reserve, but you are welcome to be on the steps to bid as well. Such a sale is expensive and results in a lower price. But, all who own the property are hurt.

Sleep well. Wait until you talk with an attorney. Agree to nothing, yet.

curb1

Sell at the low appraisal and get out of this mess. The value of the house most likely did go down considerably in value after the first appraisal. Or, agree to have it appraised again and agree to go with the third appraisal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">