• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receipt for Decedents Property...How Detailed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sw7

My late Mother's will stated that her personal property divided equally between three siblings. They consist only of household furninshings and personal mememtos, and were approved by the Commissioner of Accounts in the inventory as "no single item or group of similar items exceeding $500.00 in value".

Two of us already know which items we want, and there is no dispute. The third sibling insists he is not interested in any of the items.

My questions are:

a) for final accounting purposes, do I need to prepare receipts listing each item received (and put an evaluation on each item), or will a receipt listing a general description and total dollar amount be enough?

and

b) for the sibling who is claiming he wants none of the items, what form should I prepare for him to sign for the final accounting?

Many thanks.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VirginiaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">