• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receipt for Distribution - Is the timing ok?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

auctionhugh

Easy Question: Receipt for Distribution - Is the timing ok?

What is the name of your state? California

I have received a small inheritance from my great aunt.

The "attorney for successor trustee" has sent me a "Receipt for Distribution".

It reads:

"Received from (trustee name), successor trustee of the (My great aunt's name) revocable trust of 2003, the property distributed to the undersigned consisting of the following: 1. cash $#,###.00"

Then I am supposed to sign and date this and return it.

However I have not received the cash. Apparently they want this signed "Receipt for Distribution" back before they will cut the check to me.

But the "Receipt for Distribution" says I have already received the cash. I really don't want to sign something saying I have received the cash until I have.

I don't really suspect dishonesty, but I am not familiar with these things and would appreciate an attorney familiar with this kind of thing letting me know if this is standard procedure or if it should be questioned.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, (mods) please feel free to move it.

Last edited:

TABBY411

I am not a lawyer but I would not sign a receipt for something that I have not received. I am an executor and will be distrbuting assets at some time so I do hope someone can answer your question if there is something different about estate distributions.

TABBY411

I just found instructions for admin. of estate and there is a "Notice to Distributee" that must be signed by all beneficiaries (in Ohio) before the actual distribution occurs so this may be what you are asking about and I would say it is different than a receipt.

A

auctionhugh

Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me.

I ended up calling the attorney. They indicated that the reason they wanted it signed first is for the first distribution where they sent out the checks with the Receipt for Distribution, most parties did not bother to send the Receipt for Distribution back at all. (I did).

She said if I simply return the "Acceptance and Release", they will send me a check, and I can then return the Receipt for Distribution after my receipt.

Case Closed, and thanks! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">