• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a letter today from my decesed uncles boyfriend of 40 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swj123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IOWA

I am in Iowa but the letter came from South Carolina.

In April, 2013 ( A year and a half ago) my uncle died. My deceased moms brother. He had been living with another guy for 40 years or so in South Carolina.
Today I got this letter. Link removed by me.

Checked was "requests that the Court waive bond" and "The name and address of my uncles friend" (name of proposed personal representative)

There was a sticky note saying "Please date and sign". No other info at all. I have never talked to this person and feel weird about getting this with no explanation.
Any idea what I should do? Thanks

swj123

I was going to but I'm not sure I trust him to tell me the truth. Just getting the form to sign with no explanation was a flag to me.

anteater

I was going to but I'm not sure I trust him to tell me the truth. Just getting the form to sign with no explanation was a flag to me.
True, but it certainly does not hurt to see what he has to say.

You could also contact the probate court in SC to find out what has or has not been filed.

swj123

I sent a certified letter to him 4 or 5 days ago asking for some info and have not heard back. I gave my email address and phone number.
We will see if he responds. If not I'm not signing.

True, but it certainly does not hurt to see what he has to say.

You could also contact the probate court in SC to find out what has or has not been filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">