• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recently Found Bank Account of Deceased Grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danadwyer

Hello, I have been reading this forum for the last few months and I finally registered today.

My father died in 2009, with a surviving second spouse who were married for over 15 years. He had two children from his first marriage (I'm one of the children). My father also has a surviving brother.

In dad's will, he left everything to his wife. An account was found recently from my paternal grandmother who did not have a will and died in 2005.

How will my grandmother's account be divided among family? Will dad's wife get his share or will the share go to the children?

justalayman

does your your father have any siblings, either alive or deceased? What state did your grandmother live in when she died?

and what state did your father live when he died?

Last edited:

danadwyer

does your your father have any siblings, either alive or deceased? What state did your grandmother live in when she died?

and what state did your father live when he died?
he has a living brother in California.

My grandmother died in Florida and my father also died in Florida.

justalayman

the easy part: guy in California gets 1/2 of it.

Now, the part I am not 100% sure of but I believe is correct, since your father "earned" his share at the time of his mothers death, I believe it goes to his estate and as such, is distributed per his will.

If he had already died when his mother died, his children (all of them) would share that portion of the money.

there are a couple folks around here that deal with this type of issue more than I do. Hopefully they will catch this thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">