• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Remainder interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjamie

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Does anyone know…if a life estate recipient disclaims his interest, does the remainder interest vest immediately? In the state of Illinois, it seems to be that the disclaimant is treated as though they predeceased the beneficiary, thus implying that the remainder interest would in fact vest. Or does the life estate pass to the residuary?

If anyone has the answer or even knows of a good attorney in Illinois, please let me know. In the past 3 months, I have hired 4 attorneys and NONE of them have done anything. Not a single one has even responded to an email. Each one has told me “yes” and they will help with the disclaimer, but then dropped off the face of the planet after receiving payment, so I am weary at best now. I now have 1 week to get this disclaimer filed.

unclecharlie

I'm an accountant not an attorney. I can give you a name of someone who is highly regarded in this area of North Central Illinois in estate matters. Walt Zukowski in Peru, Illinois. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">