• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental property/ probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

choopes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga.

I have a question regarding rental property, and probate. My dad recently died. My nephew was renting property that he has converted from a business to a residence. There was a lease agreement with my dad where nephew was to pay rent, and do $100 worth of repairs/improvements per month, pay the taxes, and keep an insurance policy. He’s never paid taxes or bought insurance, and is now 7 months behind in the rent. My concern is that after my mom dies, what will happen to this property? Since my dad died, the lease agreement is void. Right? So there is no lease or rent agreement. Can he claim ownership at that time due to improvements done?
Moms will request me as executor of her estate. I will be the one to deal with this one day. What can I do now to prepare for that day now?
Thank you for your time.

nextwife

Has dad's estate been probated? When would/did the lease expire? The estate needs to evict him before they lose the property to tax foreclosure.

Last edited:

choopes

Mom got a "years support". So that has taken care of the taxes for this year. Every other year, my dad paid the taxes. So there is no back taxes due, at this point. I don't think there is a lease expiration. My concern is that after living there for some time period, and doing improvement, could make eviction or sale of the property more difficult. Sort of like using a land easement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He is a tenant. The owner of the property needs to properly evict said tenant. It's not that complicated.

Has the estate been probated?

curb1

How is property titled? Is Mom on the title? Did ownership transfer to her? Who owns the property right now?

Just because Dad dies it does not make the property free of rent obligations.

Jackson008

Hello .well i am not able to give you legal advice but as per my knowledge i can suggest one thing that you take home in lease from any real estate website so you can choose home according to need rate and one of the advantage that it is offer property to buy.

Last edited:

harriswats

Any Suggestions

I am owning a house in Calgary which is listed in MLS also but want to give it in rental or lease would anyone suggest me what to do with house or should i left it for while till the price of house increase.Anyone please suggest? Should i rent the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">