• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Researching Inheritance - Financial Adviser Suspected of Stealing/Cheating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ncaptiva

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I have no idea if there is any limit as to when you can go back and research something like this (and accomplish anything useful). My boyfriend's grandfather died about 10 years ago. This man was a millionaire. When he died, his children were told he had something like $20,000 to his name, which is what they inherited, along with a vehicle. This is inconceivable, and the family was in such distress (it was an unexpected death, which is why there was no will) that they weren't able to put forth the proper amount of effort to get to the bottom of why the inheritance was so incredibly low. They basically tried to look into it, hit several dead ends, and gave up. At the very, very absolute least, there should have been hundreds of thousands of dollars inherited, but more realistically, it should have been millions.

The deceased had a financial adviser, and our gut instinct is that foul play lies with that person. If that were the case, it's also quite intimidating because someone in that position could easily manipulate things in such a way that we have no idea if it would be possible to unravel the mess and/or make sense of any of it. They have NO idea where they would even begin, if they were to consider researching this again now, and they have no clue if anything could possibly come of it anyway (aka, has too much time passed?).

I would very much appreciate hearing the experts' thoughts on this, and most definitely if there is any direction we could be pointed in, I would be forever grateful. Thank you!

anteater

... his children were told he had something like $20,000 to his name ...
Told by whom?

When he died, his children were told he had something like $20,000 to his name, which is what they inherited, along with a vehicle.
How did they inherit it? Was probate opened and his estate administered? Had grandfather established a trust?

They basically tried to look into it, hit several dead ends, and gave up.
What does that mean? Basically? What did they try to look up? What dead ends did they hit?

Other than the children being disappointed, what makes them suspect that the financial adviser was stealing?

ncaptiva

I have to speak with them directly to find out the answers to some of these questions. Please bear with me, as I can't emphasize enough that I'm coming into this with little information, and my main purpose was to find out (1) if it's too late to take action, should they discover anything significant, and (2) where on earth they might begin, if they were to reopen this can of worms.

I spoke with the deceased's grandson a few minutes ago, who also knows little of the situation (it's his mother and aunt that I need to speak with... one is in Turkey right now on a missions trip & the other, I've emailed for more info). He said there WAS a will, so I apologize for that misinformation. I heard wrong. The will split his estate/assets between the children, but did not list his portfolio or investments, or anything specific enough. So it was up to them to dig for his assets.

The grandson's take on things is this... his aunt (who, you'll see in my answers below was the one to deal with the estate) was utterly devastated by her father's death, and it's assumed and very possible that she just wanted it to be overwith and just didn't care enough at the time to pursue some kind of lengthy investigation. Why it was never revisited is beyond me, and is something I hope to get an answer to. He also said that his grandfather suffered some mental issues prior to his death. Like I said before, his death was VERY unexpected, and no one saw it coming. After the fact, however, stories began coming out that involved highly questionable & out-of-character decision making, forgetfulness, etc. So, the grandson is highly suspicious with regard to that, as well.

As for your questions below, these are to best of the grandson's knowledge, and I will likely be able to get greater detail once I hear from his aunt or mother.

Told by whom?
Apparently, one of the daughters (who was a corporate liability lawyer in VA) was the one to interpret the will and she had about a week to go through the deceased's paperwork to discover whatever assets he had. There were actually *three* financial advisers that she dealt with, but one main one. So, it sounds to me like nowhere near the proper amount of time was spent on this, and like I said before, she just wanted it to be overwith.

How did they inherit it? Was probate opened and his estate administered? Had grandfather established a trust?
Referencing my mistake again (above), there was a will, it was just vague with regard to the actual estate. I have no idea, though, how receiving the inheritance actually took place though.

What does that mean? Basically? What did they try to look up? What dead ends did they hit?
I explained this one to the best of my knowledge above. One of the deceased's daughters (the lawyer) had something like a week to fly to Florida, dig through her father's apartment for whatever she could find regarding his investments, assets, accounts, etc. and spoke with her father's financial advisers. She was devastated at the time, and because she was very much financially secure, I suspect there wasn't much incentive to pursue this aggressively when she was in such a state of shock and so overwhelmed. Obviously, this is where I am lacking detail from her that would be very helpful. And honestly, the more questions I ask, the more I'm beginning to feel like *something* caused the daughter to never revisit this again after all these years. Something beyond her being torn up the week after his death, and wanting to get it overwith.

The other daughter feels the same way that we do... that there is NO conceivable possibility that what they ended up with was even remotely close to all there was. This man owned something like a half a dozen patents, 3 of which are now owned by Google. He developed technology that contributed to his success, using microwaves as a type of sonar to detect submerged submarines. He was the President of Airborne Instruments Lab. He met with the President of Egypt as a result of his work. He had a 1,700 acre farm in VA with an incredible 5 bedroom home (that he later sold). The list goes on and on and on. I'm the one trying to pursue this one way or another because they don't know where to begin and the thought hasn't really crossed their minds until now, and I feel like if I could just start them down a path, they would take it & run with it from there. The ONLY reason this is coming up is because the family was together recently, and began reminiscing about how everything went down when this man died. When I asked why this was never pursued again, she didn't even know what to say.... they said they wouldn't even know where to begin... and said something about God's will. The grandson and I, and one of the daughters wants answers now, though, IF they can be had. Which is why I am here, asking what the possibilities are.

Other than the children being disappointed, what makes them suspect that the financial adviser was stealing?
I'm not sure how to interpret this question. It implies that they're pegging the financial adviser solely because they were disappointed at the amount of the inheritance. If that were the intention, I have to believe they would've pursued this long ago. And if that is, in fact, the implication in your question, then I can assure you it is not at all accurate. They were given the runaround, and after discovering that the deceased was suffering mental issues prior to his death, they ruled out several other possibilities (people), and the one that they were never able to rule out was the financial adviser.

Obviously, there are more details to be had here, and I certainly want to obtain as much information as I can, and I KNOW that it can be frustrating when an uneducated person comes into one of these forums throwing out questions without thinking or knowing anything - I am not trying to be that person. At this stage, since I am lacking in certain details, I feel the only reasonable questions I can expect to be answerable are the original questions I asked.... (1) is it possible that it is too late to pursue and investigate this, and have anything come of it if discoveries ARE made, and (2) if so, being pointed in the right direction would be massively helpful. And, of course, if I've managed to somehow provide enough information to warrant any additional advice, it is more than welcome.

Thank you.

ncaptiva

Maybe I missed it, but who is asking you to do this?
Is that at all relevant to my questions?

Not that I'm inclined to answer that loaded question, but it's the grandson and the daughter of the deceased who have asked. Does this satisfy your judgment?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is that at all relevant to my questions?

Not that I'm inclined to answer that loaded question, but it's the grandson and the daughter of the deceased who have asked. Does this satisfy your judgment?
It IS relevant to your question. On this forum, as a value-added service, we often advise on aspects that may not have been thought of. Or, on aspects that folks are deliberately trying to ignore...

ncaptiva

It IS relevant to your question. On this forum, as a value-added service, we often advise on aspects that may not have been thought of. Or, on aspects that folks are deliberately trying to ignore...
I have no idea what you're implying; however, I look forward to the extra advice I'll receive based on answering that specific question.

Look, I was asked to see if I could find some answers. I ended up here. I'm being as cooperative as I can be by answering questions to the best of my knowledge. I feel like I'm being met with judgment and asinine assumptions, and I have no idea what I've done to warrant that. I have no interest in being made to feel as if I have to defend my intentions. Honestly, if that's the route this is going to take, I'll seek other help (which I don't want to have to do). This is difficult enough as it is... I wasn't expecting to have to deal with politics on top of everything else. Of ALL the forums on this site, I would've assumed this particular one would be handled with a bit more care than the others.

Silverplum

I have no idea what you're implying; however, I look forward to the extra advice I'll receive based on answering that specific question.

Look, I was asked to see if I could find some answers. I ended up here. I'm being as cooperative as I can be by answering questions to the best of my knowledge. I feel like I'm being met with judgment and asinine assumptions, and I have no idea what I've done to warrant that. I have no interest in being made to feel as if I have to defend my intentions. Honestly, if that's the route this is going to take, I'll seek other help (which I don't want to have to do). This is difficult enough as it is... I wasn't expecting to have to deal with politics on top of everything else. Of ALL the forums on this site, I would've assumed this particular one would be handled with a bit more care than the others.
Then I will set you free of your onerous task. You don't know enough to be asking or answering useful questions. Tell them to hire an attorney and that you are graciously bowing out.

ncaptiva

Perfect. I guess I've learned all I need to know about this forum & its usefulness. I repeated my TWO questions several times, and have yet to see them answered, or even acknowledged. What is the point of asking questions, if they're just going to be not only ignored, but followed up with antagonizing & judgmental responses that have absolutely no bearing on the questions at hand. (Notice I didn't end it with a question mark, since questions aren't acknowledged here). What an utter waste of time, as a result of something completely unprovoked on my end.

I'll seek answers to my incredibly simplistic questions on one of the thousand other "free legal advice" forums. I fear what responses I may have received had I asked anything beyond the elementary level here anyway. I can't figure out if it's sheer incompetence & inability, or a downright lack of empathy & human emotion, but it's certainly one or the other, and my conclusion remains the same, regardless. I am floored at the resistance and pompousness at which I was met with, and for what reason, I still haven't the slightest clue. Really - what a fantastic impression you've made. Although my original questions were never answered or acknowledged, you've answered several others that I wouldn't have even thought to pose until now... so at least something has proven useful here today. Bravo.

Silverplum

Perfect. I guess I've learned all I need to know about this forum & its usefulness. I repeated my TWO questions several times, and have yet to see them answered, or even acknowledged. What is the point of asking questions, if they're just going to be not only ignored, but followed up with antagonizing & judgmental responses that have absolutely no bearing on the questions at hand. (Notice I didn't end it with a question mark, since questions aren't acknowledged here). What an utter waste of time, as a result of something completely unprovoked on my end.

I'll seek answers to my incredibly simplistic questions on one of the thousand other "free legal advice" forums. I fear what responses I may have received had I asked anything beyond the elementary level here anyway. I can't figure out if it's sheer incompetence & inability, or a downright lack of empathy & human emotion, but it's certainly one or the other, and my conclusion remains the same, regardless. I am floored at the resistance and pompousness at which I was met with, and for what reason, I still haven't the slightest clue. Really - what a fantastic impression you've made. Although my original questions were never answered or acknowledged, you've answered several others that I wouldn't have even thought to pose until now... so at least something has proven useful here today. Bravo.
Alrighty then. :cool:

Silverplum

[snip]Why it was never revisited is beyond me, and is something I hope to get an answer to.
{snip}
I'm the one trying to pursue this one way or another because they don't know where to begin and the thought hasn't really crossed their minds until now, and I feel like if I could just start them down a path, they would take it & run with it from there.

When I asked why this was never pursued again, she didn't even know what to say.... they said they wouldn't even know where to begin... and said something about God's will. The grandson and I, and one of the daughters wants answers now, though, IF they can be had.
{snip}
I certainly want to obtain as much information as I can...{snip}
She decided to find out if her boyfriend had "hidden" or "lost" money.

Simple as that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think the OP is correct. The responses were rude and not necessary.
It is entirely possible (and sounding more plausible) that the OP is taking it upon herself to push this matter when none of the people with actual standing have any desire to do so.

curb1

So what? That doesn't matter if she is representing someone in the family, or not. It doesn't matter if she were asking the questions for Santa Claus.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">