• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resolving title issue with deceased seller

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdhull

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have purchased a vehicle, and the seller gave me title and bill of sale. When I went to register the vehicle (a few months later, as I was travelling), I found this was not a valid title, as a duplicate had been issued. I went back to the seller, but he was deceased now. His former girlfriend said she knew he had gotten some titles reissued when his ex-wife passed away, but apparently he found the original and gave that to me. There is nothing left from him, and he had no possessions to go through probate or anything. No will, nothing.

DMV is telling me I need to get a judge to award the title to me, but the courts I've called have not heard of this process. There is no one to sue (eg: small claims court) because he's dead.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Regards,
rdhull

Dandy Don

If you know where he died, then visit the local county courthouse probate court to see if an estate was filed, and if there was, the file will contain the name and address of the estate executor, whom you can contact to get this resolved.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

rdhull

Thanks, unfortunately, there was no probate process. All of the worldly possessions of the seller fit inside a single manilla envelope. There was no attorney at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">