• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility of Law Firm Handling Dispursement of Estate after 20 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Almandy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
My grandfather died in 1992 leaving a house and a large amount of land to be sold and devided amongst his children(10) evenly. Some were paid, some signed over their shares and rights to two children that were living in the house at the time in hopes to keep the house in the family. In 2004, the county took a strip of land off the property and dispersed monies to the current names on the deed which were three individuals with my father being one of them. The checks were cashed, however; my father was deceased at the time. I never received a check. (I am his only child) I am assuming that someone signed his or my name and cashed the check. Is the law firm required to find out who cashed the check at no cost to me? In 2004 the law firm contacted me to sign a form so that I would receive money from this strip of land being removed, however; I refused to sign the letter because it also indicating that I was relinquishing my rights to the property. I never heard anything else about it until now. Can I also have my name placed on the deed and have my father's removed? If so, how would I begin doing so?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
My grandfather died in 1992 leaving a house and a large amount of land to be sold and devided amongst his children(10) evenly. Some were paid, some signed over their shares and rights to two children that were living in the house at the time in hopes to keep the house in the family. In 2004, the county took a strip of land off the property and dispersed monies to the current names on the deed which were three individuals with my father being one of them. The checks were cashed, however; my father was deceased at the time. I never received a check. (I am his only child) I am assuming that someone signed his or my name and cashed the check. Is the law firm required to find out who cashed the check at no cost to me? In 2004 the law firm contacted me to sign a form so that I would receive money from this strip of land being removed, however; I refused to sign the letter because it also indicating that I was relinquishing my rights to the property. I never heard anything else about it until now. Can I also have my name placed on the deed and have my father's removed? If so, how would I begin doing so?
Q: Is the law firm required to find out who cashed the check at no cost to me?
A: Nope - attorneys need to eat too.

Q's: Can I also have my name placed on the deed and have my father's removed? If so, how would I begin doing so?
A: Ask the attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">