• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility of surviving spouse to pay late husbands personal loan to his parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Moe6668

Yes my husband passed away almost 4 years ago...he had a personal loan he arranged with his parents for the money to purchase a vehicle. I'm not sure if he signed an IOU or not as this was done behind my back...I've been paying this loan amount and I'm. Not sure if I owe this money or not...I'm having financial difficulties of my own now thanks to his death and cannot afford the payment anymore. I'm not sure of the payoff and I no longer have communication with them to find this out the payment comes out of my bank automaticLly as he set it up that way. I know the car has many miles on it and even if I sold it I'm not sure I'd have enough to pay it off..I'm looking for an answer on what to do? Do I owe this money? How do I get an accurate payoff amount as I do not trust them to be truthful in this matter..can I walk away from this loan or can they sue me for the money or put a lien on my property ? Just not sure legally what I can do. As I stated previously I no longer have communication with my in laws and I just want to know how to proceed. Thanks for your time

LdiJ

Yes my husband passed away almost 4 years ago...he had a personal loan he arranged with his parents for the money to purchase a vehicle. I'm not sure if he signed an IOU or not as this was done behind my back...I've been paying this loan amount and I'm. Not sure if I owe this money or not...I'm having financial difficulties of my own now thanks to his death and cannot afford the payment anymore. I'm not sure of the payoff and I no longer have communication with them to find this out the payment comes out of my bank automaticLly as he set it up that way. I know the car has many miles on it and even if I sold it I'm not sure I'd have enough to pay it off..I'm looking for an answer on what to do? Do I owe this money? How do I get an accurate payoff amount as I do not trust them to be truthful in this matter..can I walk away from this loan or can they sue me for the money or put a lien on my property ? Just not sure legally what I can do. As I stated previously I no longer have communication with my in laws and I just want to know how to proceed. Thanks for your time
Well, you should certainly stop the auto deduct from your bank account. It would certainly be quite iffy for you to owe any more money 4 years after your husband passed away.

If I were in your shoes I would stop paying it entirely until or unless they contact you with some information about any balance due.

latigo

So your husband's parents loaned money to enable him to purchase a motor vehicle; for several years now the loan is being repaid by an auto deduct from "your bank account"; you have been in possession of the vehicle since your husband's demise and likely shared possession prior to is death; you have taken no steps to perform the simple steps of changing banks or the account number; but we are asked to believe that ALL OF THIS WAS DONE "BEHIND YOUR BACK"?!

(Forgive me, madam, but there are limits to some people's gullibility. From whence did you suppose came the money to buy the car? Fell out of a bird's nest?)

Frankly, however, I think you know more about the transaction than you are letting on. Plus your apprehension about personal liability may have something to do with your settling the husband's estate by affidavit and your assumption of any outstanding debts.

But whatever - if you persist in being unaware of any existing writings documenting such a loan; the in-laws refuse or neglect to provide same and you are thus unable to reckon an accounting, THEN I suggest that you put the ball in their court (that is force them to show their hand) by turning off the money spigot.

This presuming that they are not shown as lien holders on the vehicle title. A presumption that seems reasonable considering your mention of having the option of selling it.

Moe6668

Rrply

Wow! How nasty of a reply! No worries however, I simply asked a question trying to find out about my liability in a loan that my late husband made with his parents that was done behind my back without my consent or agreement to such. Yes I drove the vehicle since his death, but it was his vehicle prior to his death that he drove not me and I have not changed our joint bank account due to some apparently bad financial advice from my late husbands friend who is a financial planner. Silly me for being a grieving widow and making some bad financial decisions unrelated to this mess! I own the vehicle outright and have ownership of the title to the vehicle! There are no liens or other problems with the title! I asked so I could determine if selling the vehicle outright to satisfy the loan would be my best option or if I legally walk away from the loan. No worries...I got my answer and far be it for me to be so stupid to ask such a question on this forum and expect to get anything less than a tongue lashing from a nasty professional! You haven't walked a mile in my shoes nor do you know anything of my past or present relationship with my late husbands parents! Thanks for the Comments...ill be sure to settle my debts accordingly....thanks for making this widow all the more aware of how nasty the world really is....and I'll try not to be so STUPID in the future ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">