• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights to Cremation Ashes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taquintana

What is the name of your state? California
My fiancee died tragically a week before our wedding. We had been together for 5 and a half years. When he died I took care of all the arrangements and had him cremated because it was something we had talked about. He had no will. We have a son together. At the time of his death his family agreed that his ashes belonged with me, as we had a life together. Recently, though, they have changed their minds and want the ashes. They refuse to share. I realize that because we had not had the chance to marry, I have no legal rights to his ashes. I do, however, represent the rights of my son. So, in the absence of a will, who has the legal right to the ashes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">