• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights and responsibilities of executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doxner

What is the name of your state? Texas

I need to know if I have the right to back out of being the executor of a will, since I do not know anything about my mother's finances. I also need to know if my mother put the house in my brother's name if he has more rights to the house than I do as the executor? My mother keeps saying she wants the house to be sold after she dies, but if my brother's name is on it, then does he have the right not to sell it, or do I, the executor have the authority to sell it? I need to know, because if he has more rights then me, I want to back out of the executor position now.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Texas

I need to know if I have the right to back out of being the executor of a will, since I do not know anything about my mother's finances. I also need to know if my mother put the house in my brother's name if he has more rights to the house than I do as the executor? My mother keeps saying she wants the house to be sold after she dies, but if my brother's name is on it, then does he have the right not to sell it, or do I, the executor have the authority to sell it? I need to know, because if he has more rights then me, I want to back out of the executor position now.
No one can force anyone to be an executor.

(This one's more believable, Arkie.)

efflandt

I am no legal expert, but she would have to still own the home for her will to have anything to do with it.

What motive could there be for putting your mother's home in your brother's name (which could result in more tax liability when he sells it than inheriting it)? I hope this has not already been done. If his name alone ends up on the deed, he owns it, and you or her estate have no rights to it period. Two words that come to mind are greed or fraud (is she trying to get public aid?). Do you trust him to fulfill mother's wishes?

irene barbara

Roll Over Will

Could you explain what is a roll over will. My Dad had a business renting apartments (his 4 homes), when he died, the business was to roll over into his personal name. Is that what it ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">