• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

See the will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pfisher101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri.

My wife is evidently a named as a beneficiary in her grandmother's will. Grandma passed away 2yrs ago. My wifes father is the executor of the will and told my wife she was a benificiary. Aside from that, he has been very vague as to details. We don't want to cause any family drama, we would just like to know if there is someway to get a look at the will so we can understand it better and have a real idea of what's going on.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri.

My wife is evidently a named as a beneficiary in her grandmother's will. Grandma passed away 2yrs ago. My wifes father is the executor of the will and told my wife she was a benificiary. Aside from that, he has been very vague as to details. We don't want to cause any family drama, we would just like to know if there is someway to get a look at the will so we can understand it better and have a real idea of what's going on.
Your wife can go to the courthouse in the county where granny died and obtain a copy of the will if probate has been opened. If probate has not been opened, she can open probate herself (intestate).

pfisher101

Have the will

Alright, Thanks for the help. It was easy to get the will. Now upon reading it, it appears that all of the distribution details are in a seperate instrument title "XXXXXX XXXXXXs Revocable trust"

Is a revocable trust intrument as easy to get a copy of like the will (ie public record)?

please let us know, we really do appreciate all of your help.

Kiawah

Trusts are not public documents.

You would have to ask the trustee, possibly a key family member (possibly wifes father?), to see the trust document...... and then to understand the assets (cash, stocks, real estate, etc) that are in the trust.

pfisher101

Here's the rub

Thanks for the advice. Due to family developments we aren't really on speaking terms with the trustee. Is there a way for my wife to file for the right to view this trust without going directly through the trustee. In my lay-persons mind I would think this is do-able since she is one of the beneficiaries?

Happy holidays or Merry christmas (your choice).

Kiawah

Well.... a huge problem not being on speaking terms.

Your wife may or may not even be listed as a beneficiary on the trust document. Even if she was, the distributions may be restricted to some future date or event based on the terminology in the trust document.

Holidays seem like a good time to mend any broken bridges, and maybe you'll find out in a couple years what is going on with the trust.

pfisher101

there has to be a better answer than that

We're not on speaking terms because this person is abusive. Holidays aren't gonna fix that. It's already been a few years, isn't there a legal requirement to allow a beneficiary to view the document. Who or what law ensures the trustee follows through with what's laid out in the document.

thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">