• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling Dad's Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommafaz226

What is the name of your state? NY
My dad died two years ago in FL (his primary state) . He is a coowner of property in NY with his three brothers. They are not joint tennants in common. The families want to sell the property. In my dad's will, everything he owns goes to my mom. What procedure needs to take place to have my mom's name put on this property so that it can be sold? We have not yet probated my dad's will. My brother seems to think that all we need to do is show his will stating that my mom inherits his property and her name can then be added to the deed in lieu of my dad's. What is the legal procedure that needs to take place?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? NY
My dad died two years ago in FL (his primary state) . He is a coowner of property in NY with his three brothers. They are not joint tennants in common. The families want to sell the property. In my dad's will, everything he owns goes to my mom. What procedure needs to take place to have my mom's name put on this property so that it can be sold? We have not yet probated my dad's will. My brother seems to think that all we need to do is show his will stating that my mom inherits his property and her name can then be added to the deed in lieu of my dad's. What is the legal procedure that needs to take place?
Your brother is an idiot. Probate Dad's will. That is the only way Mom will own the property without problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">