• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separate Property from Inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tamxilizar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Recently I inherited some land and stock accounts from my fathers estate. I live in California a community property state and would like to know what is necessary for me to do in order to keep this property as separate property.

My plan is the following:

1. Keep a statement with my dads name on it showing the original property

2. Set up a new account in only my name and move all the stock into the new account.

3. Have the land moved into my name.

4. Keep account statements from the newly stock accounts and never mix funds into this account.

5. Keep copies of the will and muniment of title showing I inherited my fathers assets.

A) Are there any other precautions other, I should take in order to keep this property legally as separate property in the event of divorce?

B) For the new account I opened and deposited the inheritance into, if this account has future capital gains will the capital gains be viewed as separate property or community property in the event of divorce?

C) If future capital gains are viewed as separate property is there anything I need to do differently from a tax purpose to keep the gains separate. Normally these would be included on my joint tax return. But my fear is an attorney could argue that this resulted in mixing funds so the inheritance is community property. What is the best way to handle this?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Thank you.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Recently I inherited some land and stock accounts from my fathers estate. I live in California a community property state and would like to know what is necessary for me to do in order to keep this property as separate property.

My plan is the following:

1. Keep a statement with my dads name on it showing the original property

2. Set up a new account in only my name and move all the stock into the new account.

3. Have the land moved into my name.

4. Keep account statements from the newly stock accounts and never mix funds into this account.

5. Keep copies of the will and muniment of title showing I inherited my fathers assets.

A) Are there any other precautions other, I should take in order to keep this property legally as separate property in the event of divorce?

B) For the new account I opened and deposited the inheritance into, if this account has future capital gains will the capital gains be viewed as separate property or community property in the event of divorce?

C) If future capital gains are viewed as separate property is there anything I need to do differently from a tax purpose to keep the gains separate. Normally these would be included on my joint tax return. But my fear is an attorney could argue that this resulted in mixing funds so the inheritance is community property. What is the best way to handle this?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Thank you.
What you are planning to do covers you as long as you use no marital funds at all to maintain anything....IE you cannot use marital funds to pay the property taxes on the land or any other kind of maintenance. It doesn't matter that any income would be included on your joint tax return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">