• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

she lied in probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gintim

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
Eleven years ago my father passed. While he was in the hospital my sister had power of attourney over his estate. After he died she became executrix.
There were 7 siblings but she managed to get it down to 2 or 3 siblings (including her) that should inherit what she told us was $35,000. Of course we protested and it went to court and the judge told her that she had to divide it equally among ALL the siblings. But I have recently found out that she didn't do it, and she managed to give herself 2 shares. Now I am hearing that the estate was much larger than she reported. Is it too late to check on her. I went to the probate court to check the records and very little of importance was filed, just our contest and a assurity form taken out in the amount of $45,500, for an estimated $31,000 account. Nothing jives.

How would I find out
(1) How much money was actually in my fathers account?
(2) How can I find out what my sister did with her power of attourney. I heard that she used it for her own personal use.
(3) How can I get the complete probate records
(4)Or am I too late to do anything about it??
My mother had just passed and she is trying to do it again

lwpat

I went to the probate court to check the records and very little of importance was filed, just our contest and a assurity form taken out in the amount of $45,500, for an estimated $31,000 account.
If the estate was never closed there may be something that you can do. However in reality you will be unable to obtain any records that are that old and the cost would likely be prohibitive.

Talk to your other brothers/sisters and see how they feel and if all of you want to select another executor for your Mother's estate. If so then have that person start probate or either file an objection if your sister has already filed. Check for any papers in your Mother's possessions that may be available before they disappear. Especially if you can find an original will, tax returns, bank statements, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">