• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sibling Home Buyout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

king8261

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Madison, WI

Hello, I am one fifth owner of a house that was left to myself and my two sisters and two brothers. I have issues with how the home is being kept up.
I also have personal issues with the executor(my brother). I want to be bought out ASAP. I'm living in the house right now but will be moving soon. I know what I have to do to start the process but what do I do next when I know that one person in our family already says that she's not interested in buying me out? This person happens to be a Colonel in the Army and has the ability to do so...Help!!!

anteater

What do you mean when you say:
I know what I have to do to start the process...
Are you referring to a partition lawsuit?

...I know that one person in our family already says that she's not interested in buying me out...
That one of the co-owners does not wish to buy you out does not prevent one or more of the other co-owners from buying your share.

This person happens to be a Colonel in the Army and has the ability to do so...
Huh? Unless I missed the declaration of martial law, she can't control what you or the other co-owners do.

Last edited:

latigo

I know what I have to do to start the process but what do I do next
How can you expect anyone to know what the “next” step is when we are left to guess as to the first step? (Or more accurately, what you “think” is the first step in the “process”.)

The somewhat contentious nature of your post suggest that you think that you can force one or more of the cotenants to do something with respect to your partial interest. There is no legal “process” for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">