• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Siblings are punishing us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

douglazy

What is the name of your state? CT
My father-in-law died last May. In his will he stated that my husband myself and my children can live in his house for 3 years. My sister-in-law told us in June of last year to either leave the premises so that the house can be put up for sale, or pay the reverse mortgage out of our own money, and not use the estate money to pay for the reverse mortgage. My husband quit his job, we moved to another state, and cared for my father-in-law for 6 months before his passing. Could we ask for reimbursement for loss of income, and for the second mortgage that we took out on the purchase of our house, because we were told my father-in-laws house would be up for sale then. Instead, my sister-in-law took an extension on the revers mortgage, and the house was not put up for sale until March of 2006.

pojo2

I am not sure there is even a choice as to what must happen to the property if there was an outstanding obligation on the house. Since you were holding up this process then why should you not pay the obligation.

Seems to me Dad did something (in the will) that obligation wise he had no right to do.

Your husband decided to quit his job but you might be entitled to something for his care.

You are the ones taking out the 2nd without knowing the specifics of the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">