• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sister is crazy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

choopes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My dad passed away a little over 2 weeks ago. I had become quite close to him, visiting almost every weekend, and calling him and my mom almost every day. My dad had a will. It listed me as executor. One week before my dad died we discussed what he wanted done with his things. He had a pretty nice gun collection he’s acquired over a lifetime. He told me the ones he wanted me to have, some he’d already given to siblings and one each for my 2 sons, and showed me where they were kept.
One week later, and after the funeral, I collected together the guns he wanted me to have, but could not find the ones for my sons. I called the local police and reported them missing. My sister was very upset over this, and my mother did not approve.
After the 3 ½ hr. drive home, I discovered my mom had me removed as executor! And put everything in her name. My understanding is that this only comes into play with the items in my dad’s name only. Not joint ownership items. My mom is 87 and sometimes needs help. My sister is staying there, and is helping, but is also brainwashing my mom. I have retained an attorney to advice, and explain to me in detail what the will and any amendments mean. I am concerned they will either cut me out entirely, or name my sister as the executor. My sister is mean, manipulative, completely dishonest, vile and corrupt.
I did get a quick peek at the will my dad had made. It says that things go to my dad if my mom dies first, and to my mom, should my dad go first. And divided between me and my 2 siblings when they are both gone. He also left me power of attorney.
My dad was extremely smart, especially when it came to people. I believe he saw this coming, and put these barriers in place anticipating this unpleasant behavior. I do not understand why my family cannot honor his wishes.
Any advice or recommendations you can make would be appreciated.
Sorry this is kind of long.

Antigone*

My dad passed away a little over 2 weeks ago. I had become quite close to him, visiting almost every weekend, and calling him and my mom almost every day. My dad had a will. It listed me as executor. One week before my dad died we discussed what he wanted done with his things. He had a pretty nice gun collection he’s acquired over a lifetime. He told me the ones he wanted me to have, some he’d already given to siblings and one each for my 2 sons, and showed me where they were kept.
One week later, and after the funeral, I collected together the guns he wanted me to have, but could not find the ones for my sons. I called the local police and reported them missing. My sister was very upset over this, and my mother did not approve.
After the 3 ½ hr. drive home, I discovered my mom had me removed as executor! And put everything in her name. My understanding is that this only comes into play with the items in my dad’s name only. Not joint ownership items. My mom is 87 and sometimes needs help. My sister is staying there, and is helping, but is also brainwashing my mom. I have retained an attorney to advice, and explain to me in detail what the will and any amendments mean. I am concerned they will either cut me out entirely, or name my sister as the executor. My sister is mean, manipulative, completely dishonest, vile and corrupt.
I did get a quick peek at the will my dad had made. It says that things go to my dad if my mom dies first, and to my mom, should my dad go first. And divided between me and my 2 siblings when they are both gone. He also left me power of attorney.
My dad was extremely smart, especially when it came to people. I believe he saw this coming, and put these barriers in place anticipating this unpleasant behavior. I do not understand why my family cannot honor his wishes.
Not that smart. The power of attorney ended when he died.:cool:

Sorry for your loss.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I hope you returned the guns to their rightful owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">