• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister Grabbing ALL of Dad's Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FPandSP

What is the name of your state?
CA

My Dad passed away about 2 months ago. He had an operating goat dairy. He left a will, supposedly, giving 50% to my sister and her kids and 50% to me and my kids. My sister will not talk to me. She is telling family and friends that everything belongs to her now.

My Dad's sister is the executor. She is not a nice person at all and it seems that she thinks everything should go to my sister also.

I have looked online in the county records to see if the will has been entered into probate.....it hasn't. I sense that my sister will try to not file probate and just keep everything herself.

How long does it usually take after a person dies to enter will into probate?

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

BlondiePB

FPandSP said:
What is the name of your state?
CA

My Dad passed away about 2 months ago. He had an operating goat dairy. He left a will, supposedly, giving 50% to my sister and her kids and 50% to me and my kids. My sister will not talk to me. She is telling family and friends that everything belongs to her now.

My Dad's sister is the executor. She is not a nice person at all and it seems that she thinks everything should go to my sister also.

I have looked online in the county records to see if the will has been entered into probate.....it hasn't. I sense that my sister will try to not file probate and just keep everything herself.

How long does it usually take after a person dies to enter will into probate?

Any suggestions as to what I should do?
Not all records are available on line. Call the probate division of the courthouse where dad was domiciled to find out whether or not a probate case has been opened. If probate has not been opened, then take an original death certificate to the courthouse and open a probate case and file/apply to be the executor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">